1905-1907 b t
1907-1908 c t
1908-1910 c p t
1910-1911 p t
1911-1912 c p t
1912-1913 c g s t
1914-1915 c t
1919-1923 b h m p t
1923-1924 h t
1924-1926 c p t
1926-1929 b j t
1929-1931 c o t
1933-1934 c t
1935-1937 c g o t
1937-1938 c g p t
1960-1961 o u
1962-1963* b u
1963-1964 2 b c u
1963-1964 3 c u
1963-1964 4 c u
10 Dec 1966 w
1972-1973 late h
1973-1975 b v
August 1977 v
September 1977 v
Sept 1977-1980 b v
1985-1986 b h
1987-1988 b l
1990-1991 d l
Dec1992-1993 i l
1993-1994 d l
1995-1996 b h l
1999-2000 d i l
2003-2004 f h
2005 Centenary c l
2008-2009 f n
The original Crystal Palace FC was formed in 1861 and took part in the first FA Cup competition in 1871. They did not compete after 1876 and it must be assumed that they closed down. There is no connection with the present-day club which was founded in 1905.
FA Cup finals were staged at the Crystal Palace in South London a unique football venue set in extensive parkland, between 1895 and 1914. The Crystal Palace was an enormous glass and cast iron structure built in Hyde Park for Prince Albert's Great Exhibition in 1851 and represented Victorian engineering at its finest. When the exhibition closed, the palace was dismantled and rebuilt in South London where it formed the centrepiece of the world's first entertainment theme park, surrounded by landscaped garden, lakes, spectacular fountains and concrete dinosaurs.
The modern Crystal Palace football club was formed by workers who maintained the grounds and played their home games in this magnificent setting. The club's minute book records that at a committee meeting held on 5 July 1905 "it was resolved that the club colours would be Cardinal and Blue jerseys and white knickers.Extensive research by Steve Martyniuk has established that "cardinal" was consistently used in all official documents until 1937.
The club joined the Southern League and became founder members of the new Third Division, winning the title at the first attempt. After four difficult years in Division Two, Palace dropped back into Division Three (South) in 1925 and remained there for the next 33 years. Their 1925 and 1935-37 kits, incidentally, featured pale stockings with dark tops, a pattern that did not otherwise appear until the mid-1950s.
The first recorded evidence of the team wearing a crest was in the 1935-36 season, when the club's initials were embroidered onto their shirts.
For 1937-38 striped shirts were introduced for the first time and match programmes described these as "red and blue."
The following season plain white shirts were adopted in an attempt to change Palace's fortunes but to no avail.
The first claret and blue shirts were introduced in 1949 and used until 1955 when white shirts with claret and blue trim appeared. These featured a new crest representing the famous facade of the original Crystal Palace and were worn until 1964.
In 1958 Palace were in the new Fourth Division with little prospect of success. Clad in a distinctive white shirt with claret and blue bands, Palace won promotion in 1961. Towards the end of the 1963-64 season, they switched to playing in their "lucky" amber change kit for home games: this seemed to do the trick
In April 1962 Palace played Real Madrid in a friendly to celebrate the installation of their new floodlights. The all-white strips worn over the next few seasons (as second or first choice) are often thought to be a tribute to the European Champions.
The 1962-64 seasons are rather confusing. The team started 1962-63 in the strip from the previous season (*white shirts claret/blue/claret bands, black shorts, later white shorts) before switching to *white shirts with claret and blue trim and claret shorts (the shirts being a holdover from 1955-59. Sometime early in 1963-64 royal blue shorts and long sleeved shirts were adopted. Later on they played in all-white and towards the end of the season they switched to their "lucky" amber change tops. This seemed to do the trick as they won promotion to Division Two.
In 1964 Palace adopted an all white kit adorned with a simple crest in red, white and blue. The official crest continued to be a sketch of the original Crystal Palace but this did not appear on the team shirts.
Claret and blue was reintroduced in 1966; initially the shirts were light blue with claret candy stripes (similar to their change strip worn four years earlier). Conventional stripes were worn on at least one occasion. In 1967 the colours were reversed. This fondly remembered strip featured the club's name embroidered in full in gold script, making for an attractive contrast.
In 1969, Palace were promoted once again and took their place in Division One for the first time. Clearly out of their depth and with limited financial resources, Palace managed to stave off relegation for four years before they went into free-fall and dropped straight down into the Third Division. In 1971 another favourite strip was introduced, basically all white with broad claret and light blue panels on the chest. The first version bore the gold embroidered script but when a new version was introduced in 1972, with a narrow white stripe separating the claret and blue, this was replaced by a circular badge in modernist style. Included in the design was the team's traditional nickname, "The Glaziers."
The flamboyent Malcolm Allison was brought in as manager in late 1973 and while he could not keep the club in the Second Division, he did transform them, laying the foundations for future success. Out went the old badge and nickname to be replaced by the more dramatic "Eagles." The traditional claret and light blue colours were ditched in favour of red and blue. To add to what would now be called a re-branding exercise, numbers were worn on shirt sleeves in 1973-74 and the following season the new badge adorned the sleeves instead.
After narrowly missing promotion three times, Allison called it a day and Terry Venables took over as manager. Venables steered Palace all the way back into the First Division with a side dubbed "the Team of the Eighties." They failed to live up to this reputation and were relegated in 1981 after only two seasons at the top. Venables left the club in his usual controversial circumstances and Palace, now almost bankrupt, descended into chaos.
The club's saviour turned out to be Steve Coppell, recently retired as a player and appointed to his first managerial job in 1984, a job he retained until 1993. Coppell brought stability and proved to be an outstanding judge of young talent. Many of the youngsters he signed for a pittance were sold on for multi-million pound transfer fees, bringing much needed revenue to the club. With Coppell in charge, Palace adopted a revised crest in 1987 and returned to the First Division in 1989. The following year they reached the FA Cup final for the first time. A year later, Palace finished third behind Arsenal and Liverpool. In 1992, however, the club was relegated and Coppell resigned. The club moved between the two top divisions with bewildering regularity, sporting a a series of eye catching and original kits, not all of which have met with approval from fans. Their 2003-04 kit was, for example dubbed the "Ronald MacDonald" kit because of the hooped sleeves.
In 2005, the club's centenary year, a special kit, chosen by supporters and modeled on the classic 1971 version was worn in a pre-season friendly and two home league games. In 2006 the crest was again revised, combining the original eagle and football design from 1973 with the Crystal Palace motif from 1987.
In 2009-10, the club was placed in administration for the second time after the chairman, Simon Jordan failed to attract new investment, HMRC took out a winding up order over unpaid taxes and the players were paid late on two occasions. The ten point penalty took the team from a comfortable mid-table position in the Championship to just above the relegation zone but they retained their place on the last day of the season. A consortium of wealthy supporters, CPFC 2010, bought both the freehold on the ground and the club itself during the close season to ensure their survival.
Palace's fortunes improved and in 2013, they reached the Championship play-off final where they beat Watford with a penalty in extra time. Furthermore, a new crest was designed after an extensive exercise of fan consultation and crowd-sourcing, to be worn from the start of the 2013-14 season in the Premier League.
Palace reached the FA Cup final in 2015-16 and took the lead in the 79th minute only for Manchester United to equalise moments later. United scored again in extra time to deny Palace the trophy.
- (a) Club Colours (Bob Bickerton 1998)
- (b) Crystal Palace FC (Images of Sport - Rev Nigel Sands)
- (c) Classic Kits is run by Andy Burton and is extensively referenced throughout this site. Andy is a Palace fan and has extremely detailed information about their kits. Well worth a visit.
- (d) Sporting Heroes
- (e) empics
- (f) Crystal Palace Official Website
- (g) 100 Years of Crystal Palace (Nigel Sands 2005)
- (h) Andy Burton
- (g) Bjørn-Terje Nilssen
- (h) David London
- (i) David King
- (j) Peter Moor
- (k) Football League Review
- (l) True Colours 2 (John Devlin 2006)
- (m) Pete's Picture Palace
- (n) Fabrizio Taddei (Errea)
- (o) Simon Monks
- (p) Keith Ellis
- (q) Rob Rob
- (r) Nick Szczepanik
- (s) Gottfried Fuchs Blogspot
- (t) The Origin of Crystal Palace FC Volume 2 (Steve Martyniuk 2017)
- (u) Pinterest
- (v) Tony Sealey
- (w) The Senior Tigers Club
Crests are the property of Crystal Palace FC. Thanks to Andy Burton for supplying crest artwork 1960-1973.